Dear Parents and Students,

This letter is to inform you that we have a few students in our school that have a severe food allergy to peanuts and/or tree nuts. 

These foods, even in trace amounts, may cause a severe reaction that could possibly lead to death. The following symptoms may occur: hives, difficulty breathing, vomiting and diarrhea, swelling of the lips,  mouth, and throat, itching and sneezing, loss of consciousness, and death due to shock. In some cases,  even touching contaminated surfaces may cause a reaction. 

A few suggestions for parents and students are:

∙ Never take food allergies lightly; they can be serious and life-threatening.

∙ Find out what foods your friends are allergic to and help them to avoid it. 

∙ Don’t share food.

∙ Encourage frequent hand washing. Students should wash their hands thoroughly before and after eating. Similarly, encourage good hygiene before and after school. If students eat peanut products, encourage them to wash their hands after meals. 

∙ Encourage students to get help from an adult immediately if a schoolmate has an allergic reaction.

Thank you for your help in keeping these students safe. 


MHS Administration